The Fi Europe Innovation Awards are one of the most reputable events in the food and beverage sector, honoring innovators in nine different categories, each of which is based on the most recent industry trends. Informa Markets will be hosting the show and recognizing companies and organizations for their disruptive innovations.
During the Fi Global Startup Innovation Challenge, entrepreneurs and business owners will have the opportunity to present their ideas to a large group of professionals in the audience. Aspiring participants can enter the Fi Global Startup Innovation Challenge until September 18, 2020. Those who want to enter the awards contest have until September 25th.
Finalists for the Fi Europe Innovation Award will be chosen by a panel of jury industry experts. This includes company representatives, market analysts and trade journalists. Dr. Colin Dennis, Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the British Nutrition Foundation (BNF), will be leading the eight-member jury to whom those who are shortlisted will pitch their idea.
According to Dr. Dennis, “Innovation in the food industry is key to future success. Nutrition and health, along with topics such as sustainability, diversity and inclusivity, are now key issues for us all. The Fi Europe Innovation Awards recognise the many exciting developments in all of these areas. I can’t wait to see the latest novelties in 2020, as they perfectly illustrate the rapid pace of innovation in this sector.”
Three of the nine categories of the Fi Europe Innovation Awards are new, and include the People’s Choice Innovation Award:
- New: Health Innovation Award for the development of the best ingredient or application proven to contribute to digestive, cognitive, immune or physical health
- New: Sensory Innovation Award for an ingredient or process designed to enhance the sensory experience of food products
- New: People’s Choice Innovation Award chosen by show attendees from all finalists
- Future of Nutrition Award for contributing to and supporting pioneering ideas or innovative educational initiatives likely to positively impact the health and well-being of consumers in 5+ years’ time
- Clean Label & Natural Innovation Award for a clean label ingredient or process that improves sensory and physical properties or application costs
- Plant-based Innovation Award for a plant-based ingredient or application that improves sensory and physical properties or application costs
- Food Tech Innovation Award for an innovative technical processing/ manufacturing/packaging/waste reduction solution or service for food ingredients or finished products
- Sustainability Innovation Award for a measurable supply chain strategy that champions environmental, economic or socially sustainable practices in the F&B industry
- Diversity & Inclusion Innovation Award for creating a work environment that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their gender, race, religious background, sexual orientation or disabilities.
Preference will be given to entrants who have implemented this within the last two years.
Startup Innovation Challenge: an opportunity for young companies
The awards are aimed at newcomers to the industry (businesses that are no more than five years old) who have a clear business plan and a developed concept at the very least, with prototypes or the final product preferred.
The categories are:
- Most Innovative Food or Beverage Ingredient for ingredients or additives from an animal or plant source that improve sensory attributes such as taste, texture, smell and/or appearance
- Most Innovative Alternative Food or Beverage Ingredient for ingredients or additives from a novel non-animal/plant source
- Most Innovative Healthy Food or Beverage Ingredient for ingredients or additives from an animal/plant/alternative source that contribute to digestive, cognitive, immune or physical health, with a focus on natural and/or sustainable processes
- Most Innovative Process, Technology or Service Supporting F&B for innovations that improve food safety, efficacy, quality, traceability, transparency, ingredient sourcing, supply chain management or upcycling.
The Challenge finalists will have the opportunity to present their particular innovation in a live pitch to more than 1,175 exhibitors and 21,000+ visitors on December 1 and 2. The winners can choose between a fully-equipped exhibition stand at Fi Europe co-located with Hi Europe 2021, a digital promotion on the Fi Global Insights platform for one year, access to the innovation platform Conciergerie by Presans, limited membership and fast track ticket to KitchenTown Berlin’s Accelerator Program, or intensive mentoring by one of the award partners – General Mills, as well as the life science-based innovations (lsbi) consultancy.
This is also a very good opportunity for plant-based entrepreneurs.
For more information, please visit https://www.figlobal.com/fieurope/en/show-highlights/innovation-awards.html and https://www.figlobal.com/fieurope/en/show-highlights/startup-innovation-challenge-2020.html.