We are looking for a Senior Finance Manager to support our international operations, ensure we adhere to best practice in financial management and comply with relevant company law, tax and charity regulations. The post holder will work with Heads of Departments, Country Directors, the Executive team (ET: CEO, COO and International Director) and external advisers, such as tax advisers, to ensure a healthy balance and accurate bookkeeping.
The role requires the post holder to be meticulous and capable of dealing with a varied and demanding workload. It is crucial to have a good understanding of German tax law, preferable combined with working experience in a non-profit organisation. Knowledge of Odoo would be an advantage but training will be provided if necessary.
In order to work effectively in a changing environment, initiative and flexibility are required from the post holder.
The post holder will be responsible for the following duties:
- Ensuring accurate bookkeeping, financial control and compliance across the organisation (including our branches outside of Germany)
- Preparing regular management accounts for Senior Leadership Team and the Executive team, including but not limited to: profit and loss statements and variance reporting, balance sheet, cash flow, budget forecasts, and wages, as well as fixed assets, investments and banking maintenance and improvements (monthly and quarterly reports)
- Draft consolidated financial reports for all ProVeg countries
- Line management of the Finance Officer and Finance Assistant
- Manage communication with the Steuerberater to ensure German Tax compliance including VAT returns and taxes.
- Providing senior level financial management and Senior Leadership Team support, including performance analysis; cost-effectiveness reviews (such as standing orders, contracts and organisational synergies and savings)
- Preparing annual statutory accounts
- Introduction and training of staff in using the new financial software package Odoo
- Responsible for pension scheme administration
- Preparation and submission of tax claims
- Assistance with/reviewing budgets for country branches
And overseeing the following duties:
- Ensuring purchasing and sales invoicing and payments are entered and processed correctly in ledgers in a timely manner
- Ensuring control accounts are reconciled monthly (current bank account reconciliation, reconciliation of other control accounts)
- In conjunction with the HR department oversee Payroll administration
- Qualified accountant with at least three years’ senior management experience
- Proven track record of accurate bookkeeping and managing control accounts
- Experience with producing management and statutory accounts
- Experience with tax administration and relief
- Experience of working in a team and managing staff
- Strong organisational, budgeting and financial management skills
- Knowledge of Data Protection regulations and privacy policies
- Fluent in English and German
- An understanding of ProVeg’s values and objectives
- Highly organised with attention to detail
- Good IT skills and use of databases and financial software programmes (detailed knowledge of Excel is critical, experience of Odoo desirable)
- Work successfully to targets, delivering objectives and desired outcomes
- Experience with international tax and accounting environments
- Experience with payroll administration
- Understanding of financial administration and governance in NGOs or charitable, membership-based organisations
- Experience with fundraising
- Experience in writing and developing contracts with external organisations
- Strong negotiating skills
Benefits Of Working With Us
- 25 days of paid holiday based on a 5-day working week
- Health insurance scheme
- Pension scheme
- Personal development budget
- Flexibility to structure your own work hours
- Catered vegan lunches
- In-office yoga and meditation
- Flexibility to work remotely on occasion
Accountable To: Chief Operating Officer
Responsible For: Finance Officer, Finance Assistant (two employees)
Hours: 20-24h per week (flexible working arrangements may be considered)
Contract: Two years with possibility of extension
ProVeg is a food awareness organisation with the mission to reduce global animal consumption by 50% by the year 2040. We are active in eight countries across four continents and are growing rapidly. We work with governments, private companies, public institutions, medical professionals, and the public to help the world transition to a more plant-based society and economy that is sustainable for humans, animals, and our planet.
We base our strategy on empirically-based evidence whenever possible. We seek to stay abreast of the latest research to inform our strategic considerations and outreach materials. We evaluate all of our programs to make sure we are allocating our resources in the best way to reach our goal.
ProVeg fosters a culture in which challenges become opportunities to learn through constructive feedback. Changing the global food system is a big task, and we seek out team members who think outside the box. Creative thinking and critical problem-solving skills are vital to accomplishing our ambitious goals. We believe that an organisation that includes all types of voices is a more effective organisation.
ProVeg is committed to equal employment opportunity for all, regardless of race, religion, colour, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, refugee background, genetic information, disability, marital status, parental status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, HIV status, gender identity, or gender expression. People of colour, women, people with disabilities, people from LGBTQIA+ communities, elderly people, refugees and people living with HIV are strongly encouraged to apply.