UK retail giant Tesco has unveiled over 100 dairy and gluten-free products and plantbased “centrepieces” for the Christmas period, including a Butternut, Mushroom & Chestnut Wreath, as it continues with its mission to be the market leader in vegan products.
Tesco has had a busy year in terms of plantbased product launches. The supermarket revealed in September a new own-brand label of affordable vegan products called Tesco Plant Chef, some of which will be located in the meat aisle. In June, the supermarket announced the increase of vegan products from 32 to 300 lines.
In an interview with vegconomist two months ago, Tesco Director of Plant Based Innovation Derek Sarno said of his Wicked Kitchen range, “We’ve sold over 10 million units in 20 Months – that is 10 millions meals free from animals! I’d guesstimate more than 500K units sell a month with a current range total being roughly 30. I anticipate more of an impact with the coming launch and expansion of the range and the addition of our new Plant Chef line.”
The new vegan Christmas “centrepiece” products are as follows:
- Finest Butternut, Mushroom & Chestnut Wreath – labelled vegan- £4.50 in store and online from December 16
- Finest Carrot & Thyme Tarte Tatin – labelled vegan – £2.60 in store and online from December 16
The free from treats are all available in store and online now (labelled dairy free but not labelled vegan, always check the ingredients) including:
- Free From Christmas Pudding (400g) (Gluten Free, Free From Wheat, Milk & Nuts) – £3.75
- Free From Belgian Chocolate Coated Shortbread (175g) (Gluten Free, Free From Wheat) – £2.50
- Free From Enrobed Cookies & Cream (192g) (Gluten Free, Free From Wheat) – £2.00
- Free From 4 Caramelised Apple Crumble Pies (Gluten Free, Free From Wheat & Milk) – £1.75